Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Little at a Time...

So I have soooooooooo many pictures from this past weekend that I am just going to add one of the days to each of my next couple posts until I'm caught up! Yesterday we had a short day and just took our second visit to the Palazzo Massimo to see some cool mosaics, busts of emperors, and other famous statues.
cubes or diamonds?

Medusa

Vespasian. Dr. A's favorite

Famous Discus thrower

Hermaphrodite...is it male or female?

famous battle sarcophagi
Today we went to the Ara Pacis (Altar of Peace) which was huge! It was a monument to Augustus for the peace he brought to Rome and marked the beginning of the Golden Age.
exterior (facing front)
inside where altar is
Then we went to the Palazzo Altemps and looked at another collection of art. Here is my favorite piece
The suicidal Gaul. He kills his wife and himself in order to avoid Roman enslavement.

Sooo now back to last Friday when we went to Paestum! It was about an hour outside of Naples and has the largest and best preserved ancient Greek Doric temples in the world!! 
tomb of the diver!

quite lovely views :)

Temple to Athena

Hera II in the distance

Hera I

REbecca and I in front of Hera II

another lovely view on the bus ride back to our hotel in Pompeii :)
Ill post more soon! peace and love

No comments:

Post a Comment